MCEDSV is dedicated to the empowerment of all the state's survivors of domestic and sexual violence. Our mission is to develop and promote efforts aimed at the elimination of all domestic and sexual violence in Michigan.
MCEDSV is Michigan's catalyst for creating empowered and transformed individuals, communities, and societies committed to building a lasting legacy of equality, peace and social justice, where domestic and sexual violence no longer exists.
The Coalition understands the importance of Detroit as a city center representing a rich cultural history in the state and country. Serving Detroit will involve serving groups with unique barriers and resiliency factors, both in general and in the movement to end domestic and sexual violence, specifically. The community organizer must be knowledgeable of Detroit’s history and operate as someone who can work to bridge resources and connect diverse groups... This position entails building relationships and partnerships with varied sectors of social services (e.g. government, non-profit, faith based, culturally specific, and for-profit) in Detroit and surrounding areas. Other specific tasks will include non-traditional partners to ending and preventing domestic and sexual violence including working with urban gardening, food deserts, paid maternal leave activists and others seeking to improve the quality of life for all persons in the City of Detroit and Wayne County.
- Commitment to social justice and ability to be a servant-leader. Be committed to long term, grass roots change.
- Able to work with a flexible schedule (community events may occur on evenings and weekendsGood communication skills and comfort with public presentation, speaking in public, potentially apart of a public broadcast, e.g. TV/radio.
- Understand the complexity and intersectionality of survivors in the Metro Detroit area including most prevalent challenges and barriers to services.
- Understanding of prevention strategies
- Computer and Social media savvy
- Ability to work with autonomy and have self-motivation to create multiple strategies and approaches that are creative and engaging
- Understand the dynamics of a community organizer’s role to empower the community and support community leadership.
- B.A.required, Masters or equivalent experience preferred. Bilingual in Spanish or Arabic a plus
Salary $50,000 DOE. Generous paid leave and health benefits. Please send resume and cover letter explaining your commitment to ending domestic and sexual violence in Detroit to